How much is enough?
The most important thing is to balance the amounts we consume and feel full of energy and get the right nutritional values we need. So, how much is enough to keep the things going and help our self in weight loss. We should learn how much our body needs to maintain the daily activities. Try to calculate that with the help of the formulas, or you can check the basics of diets that work.
TEE as Total Energy Estimate formula can help us determining the calories we need by inputting our gender, age, height and also how active we are. Then we use the value produced as guide to plan what we need. TEE value shows how much you should eat to maintain your current weight with the given data.
So, if we want to lose weight, we need to lower that number and do the same exercise, or eat the same and do more exercise. Lowering consumption and increasing the workout it is not recommended as a starter.
When planning, keep these things in mind;
- Absolutely have breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can have up to six meals per day, just make sure they are in small portions. Try to grab one every three hours. All your meals should contain carbohydrates, proteins and fat in moderate amounts. If you took a look at the basics, you know that those three elements make your whole calorie intake and every food is composed of them. Don’t forget to include minerals and vitamins. Vegetables and fruits are full of them.
- Include whole grain products, as they are a great source of fibers and carbohydrates.
- Consume foods that you like and have the right nutritional values you need and also try to cook different recipes everyday to experience delicious dishes and absorb different nutritions at the same time.
- Drink 2 to 3 Liters of water every day as it helps your metabolism and in your overall health.
- Eliminate drinks like sodas, as they are high in sugar. Even if you drink, drink once a week and also in moderation.
In order to lower the amount we consume, we should follow some rules:
- The most important one is to keep away from foods that are full of energy, especially those full in fat and sugars. We don’t need them. They are not usually healthy for our body. The ones with lots of fat and sugar, not only are unhealthy, but also contribute to some disease such as high blood sugar, which in turn contributes to increasing your overall weight and body fat.
- Choose fresh foods. Don’t be lazy to go twice per week to the grocery to pick the best ones. You won’t regret it later. Another rule is to eliminate processed products to the maximum. They are usually preserved with sugar and salt and they are not healthy for us.
An amazing guide for you is the USDA Food Pyramid. When choosing which foods you will eat per day, go over there and see their values and write them down, to sum them up later. Usually foods that are in the same category have the same nutritional values, so you can try to switch them often and try different meals this way, which will not affect so much your calorie intake.
These are the daily recommendations:
- Grains: 150 to 240 grams;
- Vegetables: 2 and a half cups;
- Fruits: 2 cups;
- Milk: 3 cups;
- Meat: 150 to 180 grams.
Those are some basics, so it is good to be in that range.
Some mistakes you should avoid when you plan:
- Eating too much fat and exceeding the 20% mark. Fats should not include more than 20% of your overall daily dietary values, and especially try to eliminate the saturated fats.
- Including too much salt it’s not only unhealthy but also causes high blood pressure, so keep it in moderate levels.
- Eat as much fiber as your regime allows it to you, since they are one of the best nutrition’s in helping your metabolism and if you don’t include it, you will experience healthy problems in the future.
- Not consuming Calcium or too little. Remember that this mineral plays an important role in your bones and muscle.
- Forgetting about Vitamin C. You have to know that Vitamin C is an important antioxidant and probably the most important one in your body. By drinking a cup of milk, you will eliminate that problem.
Also never try to:
- Skip your meals or eating them in more than 3 hours in between.
- Skip breakfast.
Get away from your eating routine and exercise, this is the only way to achieve your goal the healthy way. Following these rules, you will lose weight, eat healthy, change your life style and be full of energy every day.